Chronological highlights

Main content

Year
Happening
2014   As of April 1st 2014 the Centro Stefano Franscini has changed its name to Congressi Stefano Franscini  
2014   25th Anniversary of the Centro Stefano Franscini  
2009 20th anniversary celebration of the the Centro Stefano Franscini which, since 1989, brought to Monte Verità more than 400 conferences with over 21'000 conferees.  
2007 - 2008 Renovation of the Monte Verità bedrooms (main building), according to the Bauhaus style.  
2001   Publication of the proceedings of the centennial conference, with public presentation in Ascona and Zurich.
2000   100th anniversary celebration of Monte Verità, with a 3-day conference at Monte Verità.  
1999   10th anniversary celebration of Centro Stefano Franscini and Monte Verità Foundation with the participation of numerous academic and political authorities.  
1998 - 1999   Drawing up and approval of a maintenance programme for the park and the woods at Monte Verità in view of preserving and regenerating the flora.  
1998   Organisation of "Les Jeux Républicains" within the framework of the celebration of 150 years of Federal State in co-operation with the Department of Culture of Ascona.  
1996   Exhibition of some 90 paintings belonging to the Baron von der Heydt collection at the Art Museum in Lugano, and publication of a catalogue.  
1995   News of his being awarded the Nobel Prize for medicine reaches Edward Lewis at Monte Verità, where he was a speaker at a seminar of the Centro Stefano Franscini.  
1994 - 1996   Restoration of the existing buildings on the Foundation property, Villa Semiramis (now part of the hotel), Casa Marta and Casa Monescia; partial refurbishing of the hotel rooms.  
1992   End of construction work and official opening of the Seminar Centre. The Ticino section organises various conferences. The Centro Stefano Franscini holds 17 weeks of courses, including a conference chaired by the Nobel Prize winner for chemistry, Richard R. Ernst of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. Constitution of the "Montecinemaverità Foundation" for the promotion of the cinematographic art.  
1991   Continuation of renovation work. The Centro Stefano Franscini returns to the Monte Verità and organizes nine conferences on a weekly basis from September to November.  
1990   Renovation of the hotel and construction of a lecture-hall. The Centro Stefano Franscini of ETH Zurich organizes six scientific workshops, which due to the reconstruction work on Monte Verità have to be relocated to Collegio Papio as well as to Hotel Ascona.  
1989   In July, the parliament of the Canton Ticino decides unanimously to take over the debts of the Monte Verità Corporation and transfer ownership to a trust. A seminar complex should be created on Monte Verità. Contract with the ETH Zurich, granting access to the complex for 15-20 weeks a year for seminars. The first seminars (lasting five weeks) begin in October, organised by the Centro Stefano Franscini of the ETH Zurich.  
1988   First talks between the government of the Canton Ticino and the ETH Zurich concerning the possibility of establishing a seminar complex on Monte Verità.  
1987   The third museum on Monte Verità is inaugurated: It now houses the circular painting "The Clear World of the Blessed" by Elisar von Kupffer, called Elisarion.  
1986   After the history of Monte Verità, one now has the pictures as well, the very ones that were once exhibited there. The important exhibition "From Marees to Picasso - Masterpieces from the Von der Heydt Museum of the City of Wuppertal" enjoys great success and is housed in the Monte Verità Hotel, the Museum of Modern Art and the Beato Berno Cultural Centre in Ascona. The book "Mountain of Truth - the Counterculture begins", Ascona 1900- 1920 by Prof. Martin Green of Tufts University, Hanover, Massachusetts, USA, is published.
1983   The light-and-air construction Casa Selma (built in 1901) is opened as a second museum for the history of Monte Verità.
1981   Inauguration and opening of three cultural institutions: Casa Anatta with the history of Monte Verità; the renovated Museum of Ascona (Art in Ascona); and the Cultural Centre of Minusio with a permanent exhibition in honour of the memory of the founder of the Sanctuarium Artis Elisarion, Elisar von Kupffer.
1980   First Videoart Festival: meeting to exchange ideas and reflections on the new electronic images.
1978 - 1980   The Monte Verità Exhibition of Harold Szeeman is on display in the museums of Zurich, Berlin, Vienna and Munich.
1978   The history of Monte Verità finds expression as a "total work of art" in exhibitions and in book form following the structural model of the many- breasted goddess in Ascona, on the Islands of Brissago and in the theosophic villa of the founders of Monte Verità, Casa Anatta.
1975   The principal salon is dedicated to Michael Balint, the London psychoanalyst and frequent visitor to Monte Verità.
1968   First cultural and university meeting which in 1972 resulted in the "Balint International Meetings" and in the "Ascona Model". It was supported by the World Health Organisation (WHO), by the Council of Europe and by the Municipality of Ascona, for formation and updating in the field of psychological medicine.
1964   After the death of Baron Eduard von der Heydt, Monte Verità becomes the property of the Republic and Canton Ticino. According to his will, Monte Verità should become a site where cultural events of major importance take place.
1960   Dimitri, the "Clown of Ascona", gives his first solo performance.
since 1950   Ascona becomes a centre of attraction for wealthy tourists as a result of the economic recovery in Germany: For the frequenters of the earlier artists' colony, it becomes a retirement village and the place where they die. Outsiders and the newly arrived pull back to the valleys. Armand Schulthess creates his "Encyclopaedia" in the forest near Auressio.
1945   "The Peace of Ascona" between the Allies and the German High Command in Italy. The expressionist poet Georg Kaiser dies on Monte Verità.
1939 - 1945   The Second World War. The wealthy people who had taken up residence in Ascona leave for the United States.
1937 - 1961   Jakob Flach founds the Marionette Theatre of Ascona artists (with Mischa Epper, Fritz Pauli and Werner J. Müller).
1934   Publication of the Ascona "Baubuch" (printed by Max Bill), which pleads for a harmonic synthesis of modern and local traditional architecture in the landscape.
1933   Stefan George dies in Minusio. The first emigrants from Germany arrive (Albert Ehrenstein, Else Lasker-Schüler and Erich Maria Remarque). The first Eranos meeting takes place in Ascona-Moscia.
around 1930   The Swiss expressionist painters Ignaz Epper, Fritz Pauli and Robert Schürch settle in Ascona and the area nearby. Heinrich Vogeler, coming from Worpswede, a famous colony of artists near Bremen, collaborates with the experiment of "Fontana Martina". Carl Meffert and Clement Moreau are the illustrators for the publication of the "Fontana Martina" community. Their tylographs criticise the socio-economic conditions of the indigenous population of the Ticino for the first time.
1928 - 1956   Ernst Frick carries out research on the Gallo-Celtic fortress of Balla Drum and develops a "global" system.
1927 - 1928   The San Materno Theatre is built for the Gothic-Egyptian dancer, Charlotte Bara, by the architect Carl Weidemeyer.
1927   The artists of the "Bauhaus" school (Albers, Bayer, Breuer, Gropius, Schawinsky and Schlemmer) discover Ascona as a holiday resort and a world apart from the "Bauhaus". The Monte Verità Hotel is built by Emil Fahrenkamp in "Bauhaus" style, and in Minusio the Sanctuarium Artis Elisarion is built as the repository for the painted dualistic philosophy of the world of confusion and the world of clarity (Klarismus) of the Baltic nobleman Elisar von Kupffer.
1926   Monte Verità is acquired by Baron Eduard von der Heydt, banker of the former German Kaiser William II and one of the greatest collecters of contemporary, oriental and primitive art.
1924 - 1938   Fritz Jordi establishes the agricultural community "Fontana Martina" in Ronco sopra Ascona.
1924   Walter Helbig, Ernst Frick, Albert Kohler, Gordon McCouch, Otto Niemeyer, Otto van Rees and Marianne von Werefkin form the artists' group "The Great Bear" (City Museum). El Lissitzky stays in Locarno, Ascona, and Ambrì for health reasons.
1923 - 1926   Monte Verità becomes a hotel business run by a trio of artists (Werner Ackermann, Max Bethke and Hugo Wilkens), backed financially by William Werner.
1920   The founders of Monte Verità emigrate to Spain and then to Brazil.
1919 - 1964   The former Secretary of the Federation of Swiss Labour Unions, Margarethe Faas-Hardegger, a Follower of the socialist ideas of Gustav Landauer, establishes an anarchist-communist agricultural community in Minusio.
1918   Artists flock to Ascona in great numbers: Marianne von Werefkin, Alexei von Jawlensky, Arthur Segal, the Dadaists Hugo Ball, Hans Arp and Hans Richter. Ascona becomes a village of artists.
1917   Theodor Reuss, Master of the Order of the Templars of the Orient, organizes a congress on various themes at Monte Verità: Societies with no national distinctions, cooperatives, modern education, women's rights in the society of the future, mystic freemansonry, new social structures and, lastly, dancing as art, ritual and religion. The culminating event of the congress is the performance of the ritual dance "Song to the Sun" executed by the Laban School of Dance; they dance from sunrise to sunset.
1914 - 1918   Ascona becomes a haven for intellectual émigrés along with Zurich and Bern. The artists in particular begin commuting between the city (Zurich) and nature in the south (Ascona).
1913 - 1918   Rudolf von Laban establishes his "School for Art" on Monte Verità, which is associated with the individualistic cooperative, and has the educational goal of introducing the students to all the means of expression employed by human inventiveness. The "New Dance" is born, and Mary Wigman, Katja Wulff and Suzanne Perrottet become students of Laban. Isidora Duncan visits Monte Verità.
1909   The queen of Bohemian life in Munich, the "cosmic" Countess and writer Franziska zu Reventlow leaves Schwabing to go to live in Ascona and Locarno.
1906 - 1911   The psychoanalyst from Graz, Otto Gross, plans a university in Ascona for the emancipation of mankind, which will lead to a return to the communist paradise.
1905   The German anarchist Erich Mühsam would like to see Ascona as "The Republic of the homeless, the exiled and the destitute".
1904   The anarchist medical doctor Raphael Friedeberg settles in Ascona. Thanks to him, many anarchists come to Ascona: Prince Peter Kropotkin, the doctor of the poor, Fritz Brupbacher from Zurich, Ernst Frick, Max Nettlau and also ex-members of the Social Democratic Party, Karl Kautsky, August Bebel and Otto Braun.
1900 - 1920   The champions of an alternative to Capitalism and Communism propose a new way of life and found a cooperative based initially on primitive socialism and subsequently on individualistic vegetarian principles, with a third phase of development marked by the construction of a sun-bathing establishment and the Monte Verità Sanatorium. The founders are the pianist and feminist leader, Ida Hofmann, Henri Oedenkoven, the son of an industrialist, and the brothers Karl and Arthur (Gusto) Gräser.
1889   Alfredo Pioda, a member of the Swiss Parliament and theosophist from Locarno, plans the foundation of a theosophical cloister, "Fraternitas", on Monescia, which is what Monte Verità was called at that time, together with Franz Hartmann and Countess Constance Wachtmeister.
1885 - 1928   Antoinette de Saint-Leger, a Russian Baroness of German descent, is the owner of the Islands of Brissago. The botanical garden on the island is her earthly paradise.
1869 - 1874 
The Russian anarchist Michail Bakunin settles in Locarno. He lives from 1873 to 1874 at the "Baronata" in Minusio. His concept of Utopia is a society in which no one rules over anyone else.
 
Page URL: http://www.csf.ethz.ch/about-us/chronological-highlights.html
Thu Jun 29 01:39:56 CEST 2017
© 2017 Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich